From: "chris.danx" <chris.danx@ntlworld.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT 3.15 - GCC 3.x (Was Re: Format of .adp file).
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 19:11:35 +0000
Date: 2002-11-15T19:11:35+00:00	[thread overview]

Stephen Leake wrote:

 > >*I* think so. If you mean a public release, I doubt we will see one
 > >but you never know.
 >

 > I believe Robert Dewar said here that the gcc releases would be the
 > public releases of GNAT, but I'm not sure, and that may change.

That's what I thought.

 > >Act seem to be concentrating on the gcc 3.xx integration and
 > >probably would rather be doing that and keeping their customers
 > >happy than prepping' a public release of 3.15 which would soon
 > >become outdated by the 3.xx effort (if they prepared a 3.15p then
 > >they'd likely have to divert work from 3.xx and it would hold things
 > >up on that front...).
 >

 > As a paying customer of ACT, that's what I want them to do :).

As a Gnat user that's what I want too :)

 > >Aren't they going to be the same?
 >

 > Not precisely. I'm not speaking for ACT, but what I remember of
 > previous discussions, and can extrapolate from current behavior, is
 > that ACT will continue to make "internal, customer" releases of GNAT.
 > They will also continue to dump changes into the gcc tree. There will
 > not necessarily be synchronized releases; there is no need. But in
 > general, the gcc tree will track the GNAT releases. I would not be
 > surprised to see lead/lag times of a year, though (in either
 > direction).

I know of people who have a problem with this and I agree with them.
I'd prefer it if there where external maintainers as well as ACT who
could improve Gnat for all.  All the other gcc frontends are improved by
the communities they serve, why not Gnat?

 > >>Better still, is there a web page or other resource which
 > >>discusses the integration of GNAT into GCC etc ?
 >

 > apparently the gcc developer mailing list is where this is mostly
 > discussed. I have not tried to wade thru it.

I gave up with that list.  There's just too much traffic and not enough
Ada/Gnat topics to justify deleting 100-200 messages a day on the off
chance that something on Gnat would appear.  Best to search the
archives, but even then it's tough.

Chris
--
for personal replies change spamoff to chris