From: tmoran@acm.org
Subject: Re: Distributed system portability
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 18:15:12 GMT
Date: 2001-07-31T18:15:12+00:00	[thread overview]

>you have to do *all* this (including implementing all the stream attributes for
>*all* types that will ever be used with the stream, excepting perhaps some
>composite types). With that much work involved, the streams aren't really
>providing you much except the supposedly nice syntax.
  (I haven't tried this but ...) I think you just have to implement the
base types, and you need do it only once.  So if you are going to be
doing a lot of systems where data goes between a machine of type A and
another B with different architecture or compiler, you can implement
integer'read etc just once, and all your different programs can use it
for integers ... composite types.  Isn't that in fact done for the
Gnat distributed systems implementation?