* Re: Looking for ADA on LInux.
@ 1997-08-14  0:00 ` David S. Gibson
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David S. Gibson @ 1997-08-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gama Soetjipto

Gama Soetjipto wrote:
> I am looking for is an ADA compiler that workds under
> linux. Anyone who has info on this, pls reply or post.

You can get the GNAT 3.09 binary for Linux:

   gnat-3.09-i486-linux-elf-bin.tar.gz

at

   ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/

I had no problems installing this on my Linux system.

Dave
--
dgibson@cis.ohio-state.edu

* Looking for ADA on LInux.
@ 1997-08-14  0:00 Gama Soetjipto
From: Gama Soetjipto @ 1997-08-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone.

I just started learning ADA language in uni, but I am trying to get some
learning time as well at home (my girlfriend doesn't like the idea
spending weeknights in the lab). So I need an ADA compiler in my PC.
I've search in the web but all that gave was pages that points to other
pages and so on. I am looking for is an ADA compiler that workds under
linux. Anyone who has info on this, pls reply or post.

thank you in advance
--
G. Sucipto
homepage: http://www.cobweb.com.au/~ojays1

* Re: Looking for ADA on LInux.
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-08-15  0:00 ` Eric James DeArment
From: Eric James DeArment @ 1997-08-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gama Soetjipto

There is a version of GNAT for Linux.  It's at the wuarchiv.wustl.edu in
the /languages/ada/compiler/gnat directory.  There are also versions of
GNAT for other platforms as well :)

| "It is what sustained us through our            |
|  days, the truth that was in our hearts         |
|  and strength in our arms, and fulfillment      |
|  in our tongues."-Oisin Mac Finn                |
| 					          |
|  Eric DeArment 			          |
|  ejd@efn.org				          |
|  ejd@m-net.arbornet.org		          |
|  Team Ada                                       |

* Re: Looking for ADA on LInux.
@ 1997-08-15  0:00 ` Troy Noble
From: Troy Noble @ 1997-08-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gama Soetjipto

I use GNAT for Linux.  I usually get it from
http://www.gnat.com or ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat.

The 3.07 pre-compiled binaries that are there work fine on
my machine, which is Slackware '96 (I believe the relevant
system versions on my Linux box are kernel 1.2.13, gcc
2.7.2, binutils 2.6.0.2, libc 5.2.18).  If you have a more
recent distribution of Linux installed (like I have on
my other machine), like RedHat 4.2 or 4.3, you can
use the 3.09 pre-compiled binaries that are out there
on the same site.  I believe this requires elf Kernel
2.0.x or newer, gcc 2.7.2.1, binutils 2.6.0.2, libc 5.3.12).

Don't quote me on these versions, since I'm doing these
from memory.  See the readme's in the source
distribution for the exact information.  Just wanted to
save you time on downloads across the pond
if possible.  In fact, you may find a faster connection
to one of the mirrors listed at
http://www.gnat.com/mirrors.html

If you want some examples, you'll also want to
download gnat-3.09-src.tar.gz and unpack the
subdirectory gnat-3.09-src/examples.  Once you've
installed everything correctly, running
'gnatmake hello' in the examples directory should
build the hello world-type program contained therein.

Happy coding!

Troy

Gama Soetjipto wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> I just started learning ADA language in uni, but I am trying to get
> some
> learning time as well at home (my girlfriend doesn't like the idea
> spending weeknights in the lab). So I need an ADA compiler in my PC.
> I've search in the web but all that gave was pages that points to
> other
> pages and so on. I am looking for is an ADA compiler that workds under
>
> linux. Anyone who has info on this, pls reply or post.
>
> thank you in advance
> --
> G. Sucipto
> homepage: http://www.cobweb.com.au/~ojays1

--

Troy Noble, MCI Commercial Internet Messaging
Phone: (719)535-3610  Vnet 622-3610

* Re: Looking for ADA on LInux.
@ 1997-08-15  0:00 ` Albert K. Lee
From: Albert K. Lee @ 1997-08-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997 14:15:27 +0930, Gama Soetjipto <ojays1@cobweb.com.au> wrote:
>Hello everyone.
>
>I just started learning ADA language in uni, but I am trying to get some
>learning time as well at home (my girlfriend doesn't like the idea
>spending weeknights in the lab). So I need an ADA compiler in my PC.
>I've search in the web but all that gave was pages that points to other
>pages and so on. I am looking for is an ADA compiler that workds under
>linux. Anyone who has info on this, pls reply or post.

You have several commercial vendors available, who may give educational
discounts.  Look at http://www.adahome.com, which is a hub of Ada 95
activity.

The most accessible full-featured compiler is the free GPL'ed compiler
called GNAT.  There may be a distribution point closer to your *.com.au
address but the official site is ftp://cs.nyu.edu in the directory
/pub/gnat ... pick up a *binary* distribution, *even* if you want to
compile from sources.  read the docs, install and have fun!

-Albert