From: Brian Rogoff <bpr@shellx.best.com>
Subject: Re: C++ usage (was Re: ada and robots)
Date: 1997/06/24
Date: 1997-06-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

On 24 Jun 1997, Jon S Anthony wrote:
> Simply that there are even simple management/economic reasons why C++
> is not a rational choice.  The really odd thing is that IME I've seen
> people actually admit this was true (that an alternative would
> actually make more sense all around), but then choose C++ anyway
> "because that is what is being used in the industry".  That's
> basically irrational.

In other words, people who had the choice admit that they made what they
thought (before they committed) was the wrong choice?

I'd be curious about the management/economic issues you cite. The more ammo
the better.

> > Sure. If I had my way, I'd never write another line of C++. I suppose
> > Eiffel and OCAML programmers might say the same thing about Ada ;-)

> :-).  CL or ST more likely (actually I don't know OCAML - I presume it
> is functional?)  OTOH, I know a number of Lisp types who don't view
> Ada as something that sucks.  They wouldn't exactly jump at the chance
> to program in it, but they see its merits.  C++ they simply disdain...

Understandable that they might feel that way, as programming in Lisp is
far different from programing in Ada. Lisp environments tend to really
support an exploratory style of programming (hacking ;-) which can be
quite useful at times.

OCAML, which is a member of the ML family of languages, is an impure
functional language, like Scheme, which is statically typed, has a module
system supporting separate compilation, and an object system. Like SML,
you don't have to explicitly type variables, as the compilers do type
inference. For long lived code, I'm not so sure this is good, since
explicit types provide documentation for dumber programmers like me. OTOH,
combined with an interpreter, it feels like an Ada-esque Lisp with its
static typing. See http://pauillac.inria.fr/ocaml/ for details.

No, I am not advocating that anyone drop Ada and rush to OCAML or SML
(but you can certainly think about chucking some of those bogus untyped
scripting languages you use :-)

> Well, OK you got me.  Still, in general, people wouldn't actually
> suggest using Perl for any sort of large scale programming - would
> they??

Yes. I have talked to members of several commercial projects which use
Perl for large scale programming. One of them was switching to Java because
the Perl code had become unmaintainable in their opinion.

-- Brian