From: Mario Amado Alves <maa@di.fct.unl.pt>
To: comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org
Subject: Re: Looking for partners for 3 proposals to the IST Programme
Date: 2000/10/18
Date: 2000-10-18T16:56:11+00:00	[thread overview]

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Ted Dennison wrote:

> In article
> <Pine.LNX.4.10.10010181216290.17222-100000@lexis.di.fct.unl.pt>,
>   comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org wrote:
> > Luna - University of the Moon
> > The mission of the University of the Moon is to study and develop
> > interesting things which lie outside the realm of interest and/or
> > possibility of Earth universities, e.g. a non-Unix operating system.
> > It takes the form of an earthly network until Luna, the Earth's
> > satelite, is inhabitable: then it founds its headquarters there.
> > Action lines VI.1.1, VIII.1.2
> > Type of Action: thematic networks
>
> Sounds like a bunch of lunatics to me. :-)

You got the message almost right, Ted: it is a bunch of lunatics looking
for others in the world and funding from the EC ;-)

Action Line VIII.1.2 is "Open Domain", which is more or less an euphemism
for lunaticity:

"The open domain ensures a seamless coverage of all Information Society
technologies by keeping the door open to any new idea, with a potential for
industrial or societal impact, in a bottom-up fashion." (The Programme)

"Objective: To nurture invention, creativity, and bright-spark ideas. It is
open to any idea that pertains to Information Society technologies, as long
as the ideas are highly innovative, and the realisation of these ideas is
either high risk or requires longer-term research." (idem)