From: "Benjamin J. Robinson" <afn46299@afn.org>
Subject: Re: wanted: Ada diff tool
Date: 2000/05/05
Date: 2000-05-05T13:08:00+00:00	[thread overview]

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Geoff Bull wrote:

> If you just need to know if the files are functionally different,
> not where they are different, you could just compile the two files
> and compare the resulting binaries.

Some compilers have the habit of slipping time-of-compile information into
the image.  This has the effect of making two binaries different, even if
they were compiled from the same source.  Before trying this suggestion
with two different sources, you should compile the same source twice, and
compare *those* two binaries to ensure you get consistent results from one
compile to the next.

-Benjamin Robinson
--
"The government cannot reduce the adult population to reading or viewing only
            to what is appropriate for children."  -- Bruce Ennis