* Using ADA procedures from C
@ 1997-05-12  0:00 Rune Wemberg
From: Rune Wemberg @ 1997-05-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

In the gnat reference manual I have read that it is possible to
call ADA procedures from a C program. There are of course no
examples.

Anyone tried this?

--
Rune Wemberg
ruw@ffi.no

* Re: Using ADA procedures from C
@ 1997-05-12  0:00 ` Michael Paus
From: Michael Paus @ 1997-05-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <5l78vs$nn0$1@luna.ffi.no> Rune Wemberg wrote:
> Hello!
>
> In the gnat reference manual I have read that it is possible to
> call ADA procedures from a C program. There are of course no
> examples.
>
> Anyone tried this?

Yes, I do that almost every day. It works just fine.

Michael

* Re: Using ADA procedures from C
@ 1997-05-13  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-05-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rune says

<<In the gnat reference manual I have read that it is possible to
call ADA procedures from a C procedure. There are of course no
examples.>>

First, I would like to reassure people that the GNAT reference manual (note
caps!) does not mention calling ADA procedures, only Ada procedures :-)

There are no examples because this is nothing special to do with GNAT. This
is an absolutely standard RM required feature, so any Ada text will tell
you how to do this using pragma Export. Don't expect the GNAT reference
manual to be an Ada tutorial, that is not its function at all. It is not
even a complete reference manual, in that basically the only detail is
about things not covered by the standard RM.

Now if your question is about how to compile and run such programs, then
of course you look in the users guide, not the reference manual (the
latter is only about language features and their syntax and semantics).

In the users guide, you may find the section

   Mixed Language Programming

helpful, it is an entire node, so it's hard to miss!

* Re: Using ADA procedures from C
@ 1997-05-14  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-05-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rune says

<<I have 5 different user guides for Ada 95. None of theese
are discussing my problem. None of them got the section
you are referring to.

At the Internet, there are a site at http://www.adahome.com,
which have the RM for Ada 95, but no users guide.

Exactly what users guide are you referring to?>>

I am referring to the GNAT users guide, one of two full GNAT manuals
available from the same FTP sites from which you obtain GNAT compilers!

* Re: Using ADA procedures from C
@ 1997-05-14  0:00   ` Rune Wemberg
From: Rune Wemberg @ 1997-05-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar (dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu) wrote:
> Rune says

> <<In the gnat reference manual I have read that it is possible to
> call ADA procedures from a C procedure. There are of course no
> examples.>>

> Now if your question is about how to compile and run such programs, then
> of course you look in the users guide, not the reference manual (the
> latter is only about language features and their syntax and semantics).
I know, I know....

@ 1997-05-15  0:00     ` root
From: root @ 1997-05-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14 May 1997, Rune Wemberg wrote:

> Robert Dewar (dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu) wrote:
> > Rune says
>
> > <<In the gnat reference manual I have read that it is possible to
> > call ADA procedures from a C procedure. There are of course no
> > examples.>>
>
> > Now if your question is about how to compile and run such programs, then
> > of course you look in the users guide, not the reference manual (the
> > latter is only about language features and their syntax and semantics).
> I know, I know....
>
> > In the users guide, you may find the section
>
> >    Mixed Language Programming
>
> > helpful, it is an entire node, so it's hard to miss!
>
> I have 5 different user guides for Ada 95. None of theese
> are discussing my problem. None of them got the section
> you are referring to.
>
> At the Internet, there are a site at http://www.adahome.com,
> which have the RM for Ada 95, but no users guide.
>
> Exactly what users guide are you referring to?
>
> --
> Rune Wemberg
> ruw@ffi.no

Hello,

I'm apparently trying to do something similar to Mr. Wemberg.  I have the
users guide referred to by Mr. Dewar.  It does mention mixed language
programming.  I have another guide that came with the GNAT installation.
It shows an example that doesn't appear to be correct.  I also have J.G.P.
Barnes Ada text, which has little information about the use of Convention,
Import, or Export.

I am trying to call a simple Ada procedure from a C++ program.  I can
compile, link/bind, etc, each item individually and they run fine.  I
cannot get them set up and linked together however.  I have followed the
procedure in the GNAT users guide without success.  Any other hints that
might be helpful?  TIA.

AE

address e-mail replies to:
eliasson@logan.msfc.nasa.gov