* [Q] Looking for Ada tutorials in postscript format
@ 1997-04-07  0:00 Jeffrey Templon
From: Jeffrey Templon @ 1997-04-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I've found lots of tutorials at the adahome WWW site, but they are all
in html.  I'd like something I can print out, (gasp) take home, and
read.  Anyone know of a good tutorial for a complete Ada novice
(all I know is that one shouldn't write ADA but Ada) ??

					JT

* Re: [Q] Looking for Ada tutorials in postscript format
@ 1997-04-07  0:00 ` johnherro
From: johnherro @ 1997-04-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Templon <templon@studbolt.physast.uga.edu> writes:
> I've found lots of tutorials at the adahome WWW site, but they are all
> in html.  I'd like something I can print out, (gasp) take home, and read.

The Ada tutorial at http://members.aol.com/AdaTutor includes a program BOOK that prints out the entire tutorial text (about 500 screens, one to a page), while retaining the interactive format.  For
example, if a screen asks a question and says "Please press T for True or F for False," the printed page will tell you, at the bottom, which page number to read next if you think the answer is True,
and which page number to read next if you think the answer is False.  I hope this helps.

- John Herro
Software Innovations Technology
http://members.aol.com/AdaTutor
ftp://members.aol.com/AdaTutor

* Re: [Q] Looking for Ada tutorials in postscript format
@ 1997-04-07  0:00 ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 1997-04-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Templon writes:

"Hi,

 I've found lots of tutorials at the adahome WWW site, but they are all
 in html.  I'd like something I can print out, (gasp) take home, and
 read.  Anyone know of a good tutorial for a complete Ada novice
 (all I know is that one shouldn't write ADA but Ada) ??"

I'll put a postscript version of my notes at

	http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/~dale/ada/aln.html

sometime today.

Dale

* Re: [Q] Looking for Ada tutorials in postscript format
@ 1997-04-09  0:00 ` David Wheeler
From: David Wheeler @ 1997-04-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Templon (templon@studbolt.physast.uga.edu) wrote:

: I've found lots of tutorials at the adahome WWW site, but they are all
: in html.  I'd like something I can print out, (gasp) take home, and read.
: Anyone know of a good tutorial for a complete Ada novice
: (all I know is that one shouldn't write ADA but Ada) ??

I recommend getting my book, it's a tutorial for the complete Ada novice
(it does assume you know something about programming in another language).

The book is "Ada 95: The Lovelace Tutorial" by David A. Wheeler.
The publisher is Springer-Verlag and its ISBN number is
0-387-948-01-5.  The book is about 292 pages long and it's just
been published.  I have a copy right beside me.

To order, you can call Springer-Verlag.
In the U.S., Canada and Mexico their toll-free number is (800) 777-4643.
You can also fax an order to (201) 348-4505 from those three countries.
For those of you in another country, you can contact them in
Berlin, Germany by phone at 49 30 827 870 or by fax at 49 30 821 4091.

Obviously, I'm biased as to its "goodness", but I think you'll like it,
and many other people seem to agree.

--- David A. Wheeler
    dwheeler@ida.org

* Re: [Q] Looking for Ada tutorials in postscript format
@ 1997-04-10  0:00   ` Niels Kristian Bech Jensen
From: Niels Kristian Bech Jensen @ 1997-04-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dwheeler

On 9 Apr 1997, David Wheeler wrote:

> The book is "Ada 95: The Lovelace Tutorial" by David A. Wheeler.
> The publisher is Springer-Verlag and its ISBN number is
> 0-387-948-01-5.  The book is about 292 pages long and it's just
> been published.  I have a copy right beside me.

What does it cost?

Niels Kristian Bech Jensen                   nkbj@image.dk

"Chemists never die --- they just use up their reactants!"