From: Andreas Jungmaier <ajung@teisa.unican.es>
Subject: Gnat (3.10p) on RedHat Linux := Success :-)
Date: 1998/05/21
Date: 1998-05-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII, Size: 2480 bytes --]

Hello all !

Thanks to the contribution of David Hoos, I have _finally_ managed
to get a working copy on my RedHat-5.0 based Linux system.
Since this is not exactly a straight installation, I would like
to repost the essence of the installation procedure, as there seem
to be some more people out there, that use this setup :
- First of you install the gnat-binary distribution for linux
	(gnat-3.10p-i386....bin.tar.gz) in standard places.
  Note that this will replace the gcc-2.7.2.3 that comes with the
  RedHat-5.0 distribution. However, you keep, of course, the
  /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.7.2.3/..  directory.
- Then you need to change a line in the file(s) s-osinte.ads, which
  are located in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.7.2.1/adainclude
  Note that this is a link to either  rts-fsu/adainclude, or to
  rts-native/adainclude. You may change either, or both.
  Below you find the diff :
591c591,593
<    type sigset_t is new unsigned_long;
---
>    SIGSET_NWORDS : constant := 1024 / (unsigned_long'Size);
>
>    type sigset_t is array (1 .. SIGSET_NWORDS) of unsigned_long;

  This is to fix a change in the sigset_t type, as used in the
  RedHat-5.0 distribution (don´t ask me where).
- go into the corresponding adalib-directory and execute the
  following script, in order to recompile the libraries in the
  adainclude directory.
--------------------------------
#!/bin/tcsh -f
foreach f (../adainclude/*.ad[bs])
gcc -c -O2 -gnatpga -I- $f
end
--------------------------------
  There were some errors in the compilation, but I ignored these ;-)

- Then the execution of
	ar ru libgnat.a *.o
  will create a new version of the libgnat.a library, that is supposed
  to work with RedHat-5.0.
- Finally you need to set up symbolic links for some files from the directory
  /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.7.2.1/
  to the corresponding files of the directory
  /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.7.2.3/
  thereby effectively removing the original files in ..../i386-linux/2.7.2.1/
  The files for which that is done are :
	SYSCALLS.c.X
	cc1
	cc1plus
	cpp
	crt*
	specs
   and the directory
	include/

- Then go ahead and test your setup by compiling some code !

Thanks to all that helped,

Andreas

Andreas Jungmaier  		ajung@teisa.unican.es