From: John Howard <jhoward@sky.net>
Subject: Re: Best for small embedded systems
Date: 1997/06/11
Date: 1997-06-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

On 11 Jun 1997, David Kristola wrote:
> How much of a subset are we talking about (it seems that most of the
> language is included if you support classwide proramming, multitasking,
> and protected types).  I would hope that generics are not left out.
> Can you say, or will i have to wait for the official release? :-(

Bear in mind that this is a subset of Ada 95. The subset will be expanded
with each successive major version. Tentatively the product will be known
as DesignDoc (tm) for XA. It is hosted on OS/2 Warp 4 using OpenDoc.

Firstly, I do not intend to validate the compiler for this version.
Secondly, some of the core Ada 95 is absent but may be added later.

Generics and classwide programming are absent in the first version.
The Interfaces package is not supported (since there is no legacy code).
Text_IO and Wide_Text_IO are not supported (no default output device).
Command_Line is not supported (no default input device). Support for
Strings and Numerics packages are minimal but will be expanded. etc...

As a subset for a 16-bit target, the focus of support is unique. A
priority has been for the kernel to provide efficient multitasking on a
Philips XA. Further information will become available when the subset is
officially released. I can't say when that will be. Nor can I provide
further details until then.

-- John Howard <jhoward@sky.net>               -- Team Ada  Team OS/2 --

DesignDoc is a trademark of Howards L.L.C.
Other company, product, and service names mentioned may be trademarks or
service marks of others.