From: Brian Rogoff <bpr@shell5.ba.best.com>
Subject: Re: Misconception about Ada?
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 20:03:16 GMT
Date: 2001-02-12T20:03:16+00:00	[thread overview]

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Preben Randhol wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:15:21 GMT, Ted Dennison wrote:
> >I learned that term as more like someone who subscribes to the "just
> >make it work" philosophy. As such, it is not a kind term, or a term that
> >would describe most Ada enthusiasts.
> >

> Yes very good description :-)

When I was an an undergrad it meant someone who got explored tunnels and
buildings, often bypassing security. A computer hacker was someone who
explored computers, and built things, it was pretty much positive. Here's
a .sig I've seen

The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.

and that conveys the spirit nicely I think.

> >I did not attend Maryland, but I think I did pick it up at school
> >(Tulane). Is this common usage at other universities?
> >
> >I also use the term "hack" in a similar perjorative sense. The fact that
> >a lot of C programmers use it in a non-perjorative sense always seemed
> >to me to be proof that C is emphasising the wrong things. :-)
>
> I could not agree with you more :-)

I think this attitude being displayed is actually harmful to Ada. I'd
rather that there was an abundance of Ada code, even if some of it was
drek. I think Ada is an even better "hacking" (and I use this in the sense
you seem to be using it, coding with little design) language than C, since
Ada's safety measures allow you to hack away with less debugging effort.

BTW, it's spelled "pejorative", and pronounced without that R too ;-).

-- Brian