From: Brian Rogoff <bpr@shell5.ba.best.com>
Subject: Re: Q:ADA/Java/C++ feature mapping question!?
Date: 2000/01/20
Date: 2000-01-20T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Tucker Taft wrote:

> alex wrote:
> >
> > Question: What are the corresponding ADA keywords to the given C++/Java
> > features, and which keywords do exist in ADA which have no representation in
> > C++/Java, and what do they mean. I did have a look at the
> > http://www.adahome.com/rm95/ Ada reference Manual, but this would be a
> > longer way to go then I would like to. So could one of you who knows both
> > languages help me out?
> >
> > C++/Java Keywords of interest to me:
> >
> > interface    (Java)  concept for abstract interface suitable for multiple
> > inheritance
>
> Generic signatures are about the closest thing in Ada 95.  A generic
> signature is a generic package declaration with only a formal part,
> and no declarations in the visible part.  They are useful in combination
> with formal package parameters.

Not really quite the same, since they are really "package interfaces" rather
than "type interfaces" as in Java . Its not as easy to combine them as it is
to combine Java interfaces either, or more specifically, no equivalent to
SML's "include". That said, they are quite useful.

You mentioned previously that something like Java interfaces was likely to
find its way into the next generation Ada. Are there any pointers to
proposals we could look at?

-- Brian