* Re: query about ada and STL
@ 1998-08-11  0:00 ` Brian Rogoff
From: Brian Rogoff @ 1998-08-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Richard Beare wrote:
> I was recently told by someone using the c++ STL that he thought they
> were originally ported from Ada.

Not ported, but one of the early generic library attempts by Stepanov
and Musser was in Ada. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 358,
springer-Verlag 1989 p 13-25. I think you can find it at the RPI STL
web site too.

> I haven't been able to find much to
> support this, except a Byte article by Stepanov that mentioned some
> early attempts to make generic structures with scheme and ada. Does
> anyone know whether a significan proportion of the STL (or its
> predecessor) has ever been available for Ada?

See the online publications at adahome.

If you're willing to put up with an incomplete, still buggy continuation
of what's there, try http://www.best.com/~bpr/agl.html

-- Brian

> Perhaps the Booch components for Ada 95 are going to be equivalent?

I thought David Weller had stopped work on this. David?

In any case, the libraries are *very* different.

-- Brian

* query about ada and STL
@ 1998-08-12  0:00 Richard Beare
From: Richard Beare @ 1998-08-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was recently told by someone using the c++ STL that he thought they
were originally ported from Ada. I haven't been able to find much to

--
Richard Beare
Richard.Beare@cmis.csiro.au

* Re: query about ada and STL
@ 1998-08-27  0:00   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 1998-08-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Rogoff <bpr@shell5.ba.best.com> writes:

> On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Richard Beare wrote:
> > I was recently told by someone using the c++ STL that he thought they
> > were originally ported from Ada.
[...]
> If you're willing to put up with an incomplete, still buggy continuation
> of what's there, try http://www.best.com/~bpr/agl.html

Must put a reference to this on my page!

There is also the Standard Generic Library, which I had little joy
with; see http://www.pogner.demon.co.uk/components/ and the master
which was at ftp://ftp.cs.rpi.edu/pub/stl/SGL.tar.gz

I've taken over; see http://www.pogner.demon.co.uk/components/bc/

> In any case, the libraries are *very* different.

You can say that again :-)