From: Brian Rogoff <bpr@shell5.ba.best.com>
To: Mats Weber <Mats.Weber@elca-matrix.ch>
Subject: Re: Exception types?
Date: 1998/06/15
Date: 1998-06-15T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Mats Weber wrote:
> Brian Rogoff wrote:
> > It isn't really a workaround, as you haven't really parameterized the
> > package by an exception, and you can't pass that package as a generic
> > formal package parameter. Mats workaround involved passing a success/failure
> > function (an exception "wrapper"), which is a little better in the
> > particular case I'm interested in.
>
> This is not true, or at least inaccurate (I don't know what you mean by "a
> success/failure function" or an exception "wrapper").

On page 9 of your thesis, you discuss one Ada 83 workaround to the lack of
exception types, that is passing around a function (End_Of_File) and
assuming that it is checked at places where an exception might be raised.
That is what I meant by "your workaround", not your actual language
extension proposals.

> My proposal is to add parameters to exceptions, as in Modula-3 (and in Ada 95,
> with the IMO ridiculous limitation to strings of 200 characters).
>
> In one of the 9X Mapping documents, there was an extension to Ada's exceptions
> that essentially made them part of the type system and you could derive them
> much as you can derive types, thus creating a hierarchy of exceptions.

This would be very useful, and would bring one more surly language
construct under the dominance of the package system.

-- Brian