From: Ehud Lamm <mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il>
Subject: Re: Large Look-up Table question ?
Date: 1999/06/03
Date: 1999-06-03T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Nick Roberts wrote:

> A huge array, particularly a linear (one-dimensional) one, can work on a
> virtual memory machine very efficiently when implemented in the language as
> a simple array: the virtual memory management system effectively converts
> the array into a sparse array invisibly.

I suggest trying things out!

Searching a large (~10^6 elements) array of floating point numbers, on a
PC using GNAT seems fast enough (to make life interesting I looked for
the sqrt).

This is part something I am playing with, so there is a good chance more
on this will come later in more detail.

Ehud Lamm     mslamm@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il