From: Ehud Lamm <mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il>
Subject: Re: How to make like Fortran "do i = 1,20,2"
Date: 2000/07/29
Date: 2000-07-28T21:14:04+00:00	[thread overview]

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Gary Scott wrote:

|Matthew J Heaney wrote:
|>
|> Gary Scott <Gary.L.Scott@lmtas.lmco.com> writes:
|>
|> > Hmmm, these and similar examples posted do not make Ada look very
|> > elegant...it makes a very simple concept seem somewhat convoluted.
|>
|> This "very simpleconcept" is a major source of bugs -- that's why it's
|> not in the language.

|"Studies" of language usage and error inducing constructs can be made to
|support virtually any preconceived notion.  I'm more interested in
|producing the code that solves a particular problem in the easiest to
|understand and straightforward form rather than in the most elegant in
|terms of abstraction.

Flawed studies, in any field, can prove anything you want...

One of the nice things about programming is that you can choose from
different languages. If you find Ada a bad languaged - use something else!

I usually find myself in agreement with the desginers of Ada. Sometimes
though, reaching this conclusion takes time and refelction.

And remember: freedom of choice entails, of course, the freedom to choose
wrong.

Ehud Lamm mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il
http://purl.oclc.org/NET/ehudlamm <== My home on the web
Check it out and subscribe to the E-List- for interesting essays and more!