From: Ehud Lamm <mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il>
Subject: Re: Learning Ada & a question
Date: 2000/04/11
Date: 2000-04-11T10:03:59+00:00	[thread overview]

Hi

I love programming languages, and agree with you that knowing more than
one is helpful. BUT it can also be confusing. Esp. if you think at the
wrong level. I think that comparing things like the ones you are referring
to can be detrimental to your health.. Comperative linguistics are for
after you grasp the general notions. Things that may be wroth comparing
are things like the notion of class, modularization techniques (packages),
approach to inheritance etc. (By the way, my paper on "frameworks"
provides some examples of such a comparison).
The feeling I get from studetns is that they try to compare too early -
before they understand the Ada concepts well enough -- and then they
simply get confused/frustrated.

As to your question. In many cases using "unconstrained arrays" can be
useful if you need to return more than one value (of the same type) inside
an Ada system.Notice that this is on a different abstraction level than
the C/C++ mechanisms.

HTH

Ehud Lamm mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il
http://purl.oclc.org/NET/ehudlamm <== My home on the web
Check it out and subscribe to the E-List- for interesting essays and more!