From: "Michael E. Wesolowski" <mewesolo@freenet.calgary.ab.ca>
Subject: Re: STORAGE Errors
Date: 1996/08/24
Date: 1996-08-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

On Thu, 22 Aug 1996 ericm@genesis.ac3i.dseg.ti.com wrote:

> My problem is that after a while of processing lists and displays I tend
> to get storage exceptions that usually freeze the process.  I've checked
> and all the linked lists are deallocated when they are not being used and
> all motif windows are destroyed when they are unmapped.  Does anyone have
> any information on STORAGE Errors or any suggestions on this particular
> problem.

If you are getting a storage error, you may have a memory leak.

Although your code may be fine, other stuff you link in may not be (it
happened to me recently. The project I'm working on links in vendor code
which had a memory leak. To confuse the issue further, the problem
appeared on only one platform [this particular application ran on three
different platforms]).

The way we found the source of teh leak was to use the "malloc debug"
package provided with the VADS compiler that we are using. It allowed us
to profile heap
usage and deduce what was happening knowing what we were doing. We were
then able to go to the vendor with our conclusions and get a speedy fix.

More detail available if you want them.

Michael Wesolowski (mewesolo@freenet.calgary.ab.ca)