From: "John Cupak" <Jcupak744@mediaone.net>
Subject: Rep Spec Report with ASIS
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 14:33:19 GMT
Date: 2002-02-02T14:33:19+00:00	[thread overview]

I was approached by a co-worker who is porting an Ada application from one
platform/compiler to another (doesn't matter which), and she asked me if the
compiler could generate a "Representation Specification Report" listing all
the
components of a record, their relative byte positions, and bit start/end
values.

After a bit of digging around, we found that the compiler being ported TO
provides the ability to CREATE a rep spec for a selected record - that is,
it writes the "for use", and "at" clauses IN THE CODE. Unfortunately, this
is NOT what she wants. She wants a separate report. I know that GNAT
can generate a report using the -gnatR switch, but she is not using GNAT.

So, I thought that there might be an ASIS program someone out there in
"Ada Land" has written that might provide the information requested. I would
think it wouldn't be terribly hard to walk throught the declarations, find
record
type definitions, and generate a Representation Specification Report for
each
one - would it?

Please contact me at John_J_Cupak@raytheon.com if you have seen or
written such a report, or can provide something I could start with to create
it. Of course, I'll gladly provide the source to this newsgroup and Ada
groups for their use if I have to create it.

Thanks -
John