* Question on Types
@ 2000-12-17  0:28 Stephen Griese
From: Stephen Griese @ 2000-12-17  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here's a newbie question for you all.  I know almost nothing about Ada,
other than that it is has a lot of safety features that appeal to me.
So I am thinking of diving in an trying to do a small project in Ada.
The only thing that worries me is the fact that Ada does not have
multiple inheritance.

Which gets me to my question.  Having been developing in Java for a
while now, I have gotten really used to Java interfaces.  Is there any
means to declare a class that is actually more than one type?  As in the
Java class:

class AKindOfThing extends Thing implements Sortable {
}

I would imagine that with Ada's generics, having many classes that are
of type Sortable would be useful.  (I am assuming Ada has constrained
genericity.)   I could then implement some sort of generic sorted
collection of objects of type Sortable.

Stephen Griese
sgriese@nni.com

* Re: Question on Types
@ 2000-12-17 17:04 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2000-12-17 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000 19:28:16 -0500, Stephen Griese wrote:
>Here's a newbie question for you all.  I know almost nothing about Ada,
>other than that it is has a lot of safety features that appeal to me.
>So I am thinking of diving in an trying to do a small project in Ada.

:-)

>The only thing that worries me is the fact that Ada does not have
>multiple inheritance.
>
>Which gets me to my question.  Having been developing in Java for a
>while now, I have gotten really used to Java interfaces.  Is there any
>means to declare a class that is actually more than one type?  As in the
>Java class:

Look at: (Implementing Interfaces in Ada)
--------
   http://www.adapower.com/lang/interface.html

But also read these:
--------------------
   http://adaic.org/docs/flyers/multin9x.shtml

   http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~dirk/ada-mi.html

   http://www.adahome.com/9X/OOP-Ada9X.html

   http://www.vaxxine.com/pegasoft/homes/11.html

You can find the Ada Rationale here:
------------------------------------
   http://www.adapower.com/rationale/index.html

You can find the Ada References here:
-------------------------------------
   http://www.adapower.com/rm95/index.html

For more info look at:
----------------------
   http://www.adapower.com

This might also be interesting for you
--------------------------------------
   http://www.inmet.com/~stt/applmag.html

Hope it helps :-)

--
Preben Randhol ---------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
iMy favorite editor is Emacs!<ESC>bcwVim<ESC>

* Re: Question on Types
@ 2000-12-17 22:15   ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2000-12-17 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:

> Look at: (Implementing Interfaces in Ada)
> --------
>    http://www.adapower.com/lang/interface.html

Oh good, you saved me from reconstructing and retyping it.  Thanks ;-)

- Ed