From: anon@anon.org (anon)
Subject: Re: Ada OS
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 02:08:47 GMT
Date: 2007-11-23T02:08:47+00:00	[thread overview]

The problem is the scope of the project. Most people who hear about
an "Ada OS" they think it will be similar to "Microsoft Windows"
or Mac, Linux, Posix, Unix design, that's a big job. The following
will give you some idea, but know that I am skipping a lot of steps
between each of the stages.

Stage 0: A plan or purpose for the OS. Microsoft's or the Unix type
of OS are a general purpose. But you can have specific version such
as Real-Time OS. This needs to be written in detail before any other
stages are started. And writing documentation is dull, most people
stop before finishing this stage.

        NOTE: A simple design may take a week something like
              Windows design could take a year.

        NOTE: Where do you stop using Ada only coding and
              allow projects in other languages. Or do you.

Stage 1: create a team of programmers. A simple kernel may require one
programmer, but a DOS like OS will take a team of 10 to 25 programmers
or more. Plus, some of these programmers may leave the project before
the OS is created, so, you have to have others available. Then you have
to deal with the in fighting. Most will want to create the kernel, but
how many will want to create the first command line simple text editor
like 'e' or a full blown 'vi'.

Stage 2: Creating the kernel initially based on Stage 0 design.
Plus, if the kernel is for multiple classes of cpus (IA_32, IA_32_64,
IA_64, others) then you will need a kernel for each class. At the
movement Ada does not contain conditional compiling statements. And
I hope that it never does.

        NOTE: Now most Ada OS's stop here. That's because the
              author's reason for the OS is done or the author
              has no more time for their project.
              But the kernel is not an OS, it just the
              beginning or core of an OS.

Stage 3: Is the Ada compiler and its libraries for this kernel.

        NOTE: Here also multiple compilers are needed because
              Ada does not have conditional compiling.

STAGE NOTE: Starting with Stage Four the system should be hardware
independent enough to allow standardize applications. Only need to
compile source for each cpu class.

Stage 4: OS support applications. Such as hardware configuration and
simple command shell.  These hardware applications, sets up the
networks or Time and Date functions, etc. This also includes the File
Systems support applications such as FDISK and FORMAT.

        Note: At this point the OS should have the functionability
              of a DOS. With one major application the Ada
              compiler system.

        Note: In today environment, DOS in not really useable.
              So, the OS will need a GUI, a browser for the
              internet, ect.

Stage 5: GUI and the windows like applications. But this requires the
kernel has some kind of graphic video driver for each type of video
card supported. And the compiler having a graphics library packages.

        Note: Linux uses X-Windows, there are a couple of
              GUIs interfaces out there like KDE or GOME to
              name two. And these took years to write with each
              having their own applications. And each project
              is not finished either.

And the list goes on!

TIME TABLE: Except for the simple kernel which a single student
programmer might write within a semester. Each Stage may require a
year or more. So, an Ada only type of OS might be 5 years in the
future.

FINAL WORD: In 5 year, how many people will want to use Ada or an
Ada OS. Plus, the time required for upgrading the system because of
hardware. So, most programmer just do not want to spend that amount
of time on a non-paying project that most people will never use.

FINAL NOTE: Linux started off as a free replacement to the high
dollar UNIX OS. That gave the initial programmers a reason to join
and stay with the Linux team. Later came other reasons.

FINAL NOTE: This is not all but it does give you an idea just how
big this project is.