* ARRGH!!!
@ 1993-09-09 17:52 Kenneth Anderson
From: Kenneth Anderson @ 1993-09-09 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here is an interesting post that a friend of mine found on the
acoustic guitar bboard.

From: Gene Ouye @ 1993-09-09 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

This was my reply when I saw the post last night:

Newsgroups: rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
From: geneo@Rational.COM (Gene Ouye)
Subject: Re: Open Tuning Chord Pictures Anyone?
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1993 03:23:50 GMT

Richard Kucera, MSD (kucera@image2.csb) wrote:
: There's a free program called guitare4 at ftp.nevada.edu (anonymous)
: in /pub/guitar/OTHER.STUFF which will give chord voicings for arbitrary
: open tunings,  among other things.  Unfortunately it's written in Ada for
: some reason,  and so not very portable.  You have to get the executable
: for your machine if they support it.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with acoustic guitars of any sort, but...

Actually, the fact that it's written in Ada means it probably is very
portable, and with little or no modification would run on anything from
a VAX to a PC (DOS, Windows, Unix) to a Mac to a Sun.  Unfortunately,
you probably haven't an Ada compiler.

--
Gene Ouye (geneo@rational.com)   Rational, Bethesda, MD, USA
(301) 897-4014

* Re: ARRGH!!!
@ 1993-09-15 10:02 Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 1993-09-15 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Kucera, MSD (kucera@image2.csb) wrote:
: There's a free program called guitare4 at ftp.nevada.edu (anonymous)
: in /pub/guitar/OTHER.STUFF which will give chord voicings for arbitrary
: open tunings,  among other things.  Unfortunately it's written in Ada for
: some reason,  and so not very portable.  You have to get the executable
				^^^^^^^^
: for your machine if they support it.

This 'portability' has nothing to do with Ada. And it is true with any language
of today or tomorrow : If you don't have the compiler you can't compile it !?!

Actually I'am the creator of GUITARE and I made this in Ada to have a high
portability. And I think it is very portable since I have compiled it on
different platforms with different compilers without problem.

BTW, I have done all this developpement with Ada/Ed.

Pascal.
| Pascal OBRY			e-mail: pascal.obry@der.edf.fr |
| EDF-DER-IPN-SID-ISI					       |
| Bureau G1-010			voice: +33-1-47.65.50.91       |
| 1 Av General de Gaulle				       |
| 92141 Clamart CEDEX		     			       |
| FRANCE			     			       |