* From "Re: Where are returned values stored?"
@ 2004-06-03 16:49 Frank
From: Frank @ 2004-06-03 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Snipped from "Re: Where are returned values stored?"  :

>You may perhaps be interested to note that my design for the AdaOS kernel
>(called 'Bachar') for the IA-32 makes use of segments to help alleviate the
>problem.
>
>--
>Nick Roberts

Hi!

Im curios about what is the state for the AdaOS project? Do you have inside
information? :-)

Frank

* Re: From "Re: Where are returned values stored?"
@ 2004-06-04 18:44 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2004-06-04 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Frank" <franjoe@frisurf.no> wrote in message

> >You may perhaps be interested to note that my design for the
> > AdaOS kernel (called 'Bachar') for the IA-32 makes use of
> > segments to help alleviate the problem.

> Im curios about what is the state for the AdaOS project? Do you
> have inside information? :-)

'Bubbling under' is probably the best way to describe it, at the moment.

In fact, the biggest problem is that too much information is only inside my
head, and my highest priority at present is to correct this problem. The
other big problem is the conflict between my desire to stop AdaOS becoming a
monster of compromise*, and the need to make participants feel enfranchised.
I'm working on it!

--
Nick Roberts

*as in "a camel is a horse designed by a committee"

* Re: From "Re: Where are returned values stored?"
@ 2004-06-07 16:52 ` Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
From: Warren W. Gay VE3WWG @ 2004-06-07 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank wrote:

> Snipped from "Re: Where are returned values stored?"  :
>>You may perhaps be interested to note that my design for the AdaOS kernel
>>(called 'Bachar') for the IA-32 makes use of segments to help alleviate the
>>problem.
>>--
>>Nick Roberts
> Hi!
>
> Im curios about what is the state for the AdaOS project? Do you have inside
> information? :-)
>
> Frank

This reminds me, that I wanted to reply to Nick's
comments from before: I once worked on a Prime 50
Series platform (Primos) that was segmented. The
architecture offered some advantages, but suffered
from others. I don't seem to recall the problems
that we ran into, but IIRC, one of them was that
there was a limit on the segment size that got in
the way (though I might be confusing this with
the WinTel past). I did however, like the way that
rings and dynamic linking worked (snapping the
links).

--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg