From: "Greg Gorman" <ggorman@computer.org>
Subject: Re: Ada Tools
Date: 2000/09/28
Date: 2000-09-28T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Ted & Everyone,
As one who has been around since 1992 as an employee and a customer/user
since 1987...here is the history as best as I can remember it. Feel free to
chip in if my dates are a bit off:

1982: First there was "Teamwork". It was and still is a Yourdon SART
development tool. Started on the Apollo.
--HQ in Providence RI.
1987?: Teamwork/Ada editor introduced. Also introduced primitive (navigation
only) Shlaer-Mellor/OOA support and VMS platform
1992: Added Shlaer-Mellor OOA diagrams and auto-generators to Teamwork and
called that ObjectTeam/OOA

Around mid-1994 When OMT became the big fad, we set up a contract with
ProtoSoft (bought by Platinum, bought by CA) to re-sell Paradigm+ as
ParadigmPlus/Cadre Edition. It also became known as ObjectTeam/OMT in there
somewhere.

Feb 1995: Contract expired with ProtoSoft. We "went dark" for a while with
an OMT solution.

Mar 1995: Cadre purchased Westmount Technologies BV of The Netherlands. They
had two products: ICASE and OMT.
--ICASE was a Yourdon SART style tool, Cadre renamed to VantageTeam.
--OMT was renamed to ObjectTeam/OMT

**Note that ObjectTeam/OMT and Teamwork are completely separate products,
with completely different architectures and lineage!

Jan 1996: Windows version released that interoperates with Unix and vice
versa (OT4.0)

Jul 1996: UML version released (OT6.0), had the capability to switch back &
forth from OMT to UML, even to the current version today.

Mar 1997: Bachman Information Systems merged (acquired really) Cadre and the
new company was called Cayenne Software.
--Really cool trade show giveaways
--Product names stayed the same.
--Shlaer-Mellor OOA product terminated (ObjectTeam/OOA). Remember: it was
completely different than OMT/UML tool!
--HQ moved to Boston area
--Last version of ObjectTeam was 8.1 in appx July 1997.

Oct 1998: Sterling Software purchases Cayenne Software
--ObjectTeam 8.1 renamed to COOL:Jex 4.0, replacing existing
Sterling-developed COOL:Jex product.
(Personally, I hated that name, but "them that has the gold makes the
rules...")
--Engineering moved from The Netherlands to Atlanta GA.

July 1999: Telelogic acquires rights to source code from Sterling
--re-badged as Tau UML Suite
--agreement separated markets so Sterling went for mainly IT and legacy
accounts, Telelogic for telcos and real-time.

March 2000: Telelogic purchases entire COOL:Jex business unit from Sterling
--PRIOR TO the acquisition of Sterling by CA (by about a week).
--Key employees voluntarily resigned from Sterling and hired on to
Telelogic, including the Atlanta team.
--CA retained ownership of Teamwork, Telelogic has reseller rights only. CA
does support & maintenance billing.
--Product is renamed "Telelogic Tau UML Suite" to fit in with other product
families: "Tau SDL Suite" and "Tau TTCN Suite".
BTW: Tau is for real-time--the Greek letter. "Tao" is where you'll need the
Lotus position...;)
--Engineering staff doubled in size, remains in Atlanta
--The product numbering was kept consistent, so Jex users can keep track of
where they are in the update sequence.
--There have been three releases since Telelogic acquired it (4.2 in March,
4.3 in July and 4.4 on 1 Oct).

I apologize if my dates are a bit off, this is all off the top of my head.

If anyone needs more information, feel free to drop me a note or check out
our website for contact numbers and addresses: http://www.telelogic.com.

Greg Gorman
West Region Sales
Telelogic North America