From: Jeff C <jcreem@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Problems with GtkAda-2.4.0 on Windows 2000.
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 21:51:49 -0400
Date: 2005-05-03T21:51:49-04:00	[thread overview]

Marin David Condic wrote:
> I recently downloaded GtkAda for Windows and installed it and am having
> problems getting it to operate. I have used earlier versions of GtkAda
> and got them to work - if not perfectly, at least reasonably well. Can
> anyone help with these issues?
>
> Trying to build a simple "Hello World" program with a text window and a
> "quit" button, I discover the following:
>
> - Using the command line "gate" program to generate code, I notice that
> it does NOT create a "gate" directory as it says it will in the
> documentation and it used to do in earlier versions. Hence, it does not
> keep a backup copy of the code and any hand-modified code is lost in
> regenerating the project. The documentation says it won�t try to
> preserve modifications for Windows systems, but it used to at one time.
> Is there a way to get it to do this?

The problem is/was that there were issues with all of the various "sh"
like interpreters around a while ago on some versions of windows such
that various parameters were mangled. Also it increase the complexity of
the distribution because then they were also distributing a shell
interpreter.

I am sure you can get it all to work if you use msys and configure/build
from a source distribution (pointing at one of the many existing binary
Gtk+ installers) as long as you restrict yourself to "modern" windows
like XP.

> - Defining a source subdirectory and pixmap subdirectory in the project
> options window seems to have zero effect if a simple name is used like
> "src" and "pixmaps". Putting in a fully qualified directory name such as
> "c:\hello_world\src" makes it lock up hopelessly. I don't have an
> obvious clue as to what to expect these options to produce, but I'm
> guessing they ought to have something to do with generating code in the
> indicated subdirectory and looking for pixmaps in the indicated
> subdirectory. Neither seems to happen.

No help on that one..sorry.

> - When I created a window with a name of "Hello_World" and added the
> "on_Hello_World_Delete_Event" signal, the code generation produced a
> procedure with the name: "on_Hello world_Delete_Event" (note the space
> in the middle of the identifier). Will gate/glade not handle a window
> name with an underscore in it?
>
> - When compiling the completely unmodified code as generated for the
> simple app, I got the following output from gnatmake:
>
> C:\Condic\ZZZ\Hello>gnatmake -Ic:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada hello_world
> gcc -c -Ic:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada hello_world.adb
> gcc -c -Ic:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada hello_world_pkg.adb
> gcc -c -Ic:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada callbacks_hello_world.ads
> gcc -c -Ic:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada hello_world_intl.adb
> gcc -c -Ic:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada hello_world_pkg-callbacks.adb
> gnatbind -aO./ -aOc:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada -I- -x hello_world.ali
> gnatlink hello_world.ali
> c:\gtkada-2.4.0\include\gtkada\\libgtkada.a(misc.o.b)(.text+0x327f):
> undefined r
> eference to `SetCursorPos@8'
> gnatlink: cannot call C:\GNAT\bin\gcc.exe
> gnatmake: *** link failed.
>
> Am I missing some compiler option or linker option necessary to get this
> to work?

This is a packaging problem with the last public GtkAda release. It is
unfortuntate because it really make GtkAda Windows support look even
worse than it really is.

Take a look at
http://lists.adacore.com/pipermail/gtkada/2005-January/003203.html or
more specifically the thread that starts with

http://lists.adacore.com/pipermail/gtkada/2005-March/003268.html