* Happy Birthday Ada
@ 2003-12-10 19:41 Dan Eilers
From: Dan Eilers @ 2003-12-10 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Augusta Ada Byron was born December 10, 1815.
MIL-STD-1815 Ada was born December 10, 1980.

p.s.
 some fun Ada art intended for viewing with mono-spaced font

    package
                   is
                 type xo
                is  range
               (%**%(1,2:0:       *
              8:1:)).."**"(3
       ,     (7:3:+0)/9#1#-1)
                  ;end;

    procedure       p
                   is
                type rec
              (d: natural)
             is null record;
            protected type pt
          (e:integer) is private
         f:rec(e) ;end; protected
        body pt is end; begin null
                  ;end;

                  generic
                package abc
              is      generic
            with        package
          de                   is
        new                     abc
          (         <>          )
          ;             procedure
          l                     ;
          end                   ;

* Re: Happy Birthday Ada
@ 2003-12-10 21:30 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2003-12-10 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Eilers <dan@irvine.com> writes:

> p.s.
>  some fun Ada art intended for viewing with mono-spaced font

Cool, the first ever obfuscated Ada program!

Unfortunately, it triggers a bug in GNAT 3.15p.  I got a bug box at
p.adb:11:16.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Happy Birthday Ada
@ 2003-12-10 22:55   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2003-12-10 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

:
:> p.s.
:>  some fun Ada art intended for viewing with mono-spaced font
:
: Cool, the first ever obfuscated Ada program!
:
: Unfortunately, it triggers a bug in GNAT 3.15p.  I got a bug box at
: p.adb:11:16.

GCC 3.4 translates p.adb but hangs when compiling abc.ads. (Or
should we take this as the appropriate error message :-)
bash-2.05a$ gcc -v -c abc.ads
Reading specs from /opt/GCC/34/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4/specs
Configured with: ../gcc/configure --enable-languages=c,ada --prefix=/opt/GCC/34 --enable-checking
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4 20031127 (experimental)
 /opt/GCC/34/libexec/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4/gnat1 -quiet -dumpbase abc.ads -mtune=pentiumpro abc.ads -o /tmp/ccIbMHQv.s

A nice birthday present :-)

* Re: Happy Birthday Ada
@ 2003-12-11 13:13 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2003-12-11 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Also, the DECsystem 10 was affectionately known as the "DEC-10" and us
fans of that system  have celebrated "DEC-10 Day" in its honor for some
years now. :-) Nice to know it lines up well with Ada.

MDC

Dan Eilers wrote:
> Augusta Ada Byron was born December 10, 1815.
> MIL-STD-1815 Ada was born December 10, 1980.
>
> p.s.
>  some fun Ada art intended for viewing with mono-spaced font
>

>     package
>                    is
>                  type xo
>                 is  range
>                (%**%(1,2:0:       *
>               8:1:)).."**"(3
>        ,     (7:3:+0)/9#1#-1)
>                   ;end;
>

>     procedure       p
>                    is
>                 type rec
>               (d: natural)
>              is null record;
>             protected type pt
>           (e:integer) is private
>          f:rec(e) ;end; protected
>         body pt is end; begin null
>                   ;end;
>

>                   generic
>                 package abc
>               is      generic
>             with        package
>           de                   is
>         new                     abc
>           (         <>          )
>           ;             procedure
>           l                     ;
>           end                   ;

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: m   o   d   c @ a   m   o   g
                    c   n   i       c   .   r

     "Trying is the first step towards failure."
         --  Homer Simpson

* Re: Happy Birthday Ada
@ 2003-12-11 15:53   ` Robert A Duff
From: Robert A Duff @ 2003-12-11 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic <nobody@noplace.com> writes:

> Also, the DECsystem 10 was affectionately known as the "DEC-10" and us
> fans of that system  have celebrated "DEC-10 Day" in its honor for some
> years now. :-) Nice to know it lines up well with Ada.

Cool.  In 1982, I worked on an Ada compiler for the DEC-10
(running the Tops-20 OS).

- Bob

* Re: Happy Birthday Ada
@ 2003-12-11 17:32     ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2003-12-11 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've heard rumors here of somebody porting the Gnat compiler to the
DEC-10. I don't even know if there is still any hardware out there to
run it on. I've heard tell of software emulators but I don't know if
there is much of a user base. It would have been nice to see Ada running
on a DEC-10 - back in the day... Now? I don't know what practical use it
would be put to. Its not as if there is a truckload of Ada software for
the DEC-10 sitting around going to waste.

MDC

@ 2003-12-17  5:44       ` healyzh
From: healyzh @ 2003-12-17  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic <nobody@noplace.com> wrote:
> I've heard rumors here of somebody porting the Gnat compiler to the
> DEC-10. I don't even know if there is still any hardware out there to
> run it on. I've heard tell of software emulators but I don't know if
> there is much of a user base. It would have been nice to see Ada running
> on a DEC-10 - back in the day... Now? I don't know what practical use it
> would be put to. Its not as if there is a truckload of Ada software for
> the DEC-10 sitting around going to waste.

GCC, not GNAT is being ported to TOPS-20, XKL is paying for the port to run
on the XKL-1.  There are still real PDP-10's running on the Internet, and
several emulated ones as well.  If you're interested in PDP-10 emulation,
see my webpage at http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/pdp10emu.html, it also has
plenty of links to info on the real HW.  As for how much of a userbase, I
don't really know, but it is interesting to note that XKL is rumored to be
working on an XKL-2.  For that matter there are a couple of Hobbyists
building their own PDP-10 based systems out of FPGA's.  I gather some of the
SC-20's and SC-30's are still in use as well.  All the genuine DEC CPU's and
the Flooney's seem to have been retired.

> Robert A Duff wrote:
> >
> > Cool.  In 1982, I worked on an Ada compiler for the DEC-10
> > (running the Tops-20 OS).

Any chance a copy of this is laying around somewhere?  I wouldn't mind a
copy of Ada for my TOPS-20 system!

		Zane

* Re: Happy Birthday Ada
@ 2003-12-17 13:19         ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2003-12-17 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Beyond pure nostalgia, I couldn't see much point. I don't have any
software that requires a PDP-10 processor. I'd be curious about the
logic of XKL in spending money to port to an architecture that is not
likely to have much of a future in any commercial sense. Maybe there are
still some PDP-10 users out there who still need some support, but it
would seem that mostly they'd be looking for a migration path to some
architecture with a future.

To get back on topic: This is a lesson for Ada. It is facing
obsolescence and is hanging on to a user base that is for the most part
looking for migration paths to something "new" with more "industry
support". (This is what I'm hearing from my customers at least.) If Ada
doesn't want to be a museum piece right next to the PDP-10, it needs to
find a way of exciting and attracting *new* users and *new* projects on
a mass scale.

MDC

@ 2003-12-17 21:20           ` Frank J. Lhota
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2003-12-17 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Marin David Condic" <nobody@noplace.com> wrote in message
> Beyond pure nostalgia, I couldn't see much point. I don't have any
> software that requires a PDP-10 processor.

For the purposes of nostalgia, there are PC emulators for the TRS-80, the
Commodor 80, and the IBM 360. Presumably, someone has written a PDP-10
emulator, right?

* Re: Happy Birthday Ada
@ 2003-12-25  1:45             ` Dave Thompson
From: Dave Thompson @ 2003-12-25  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:20:46 GMT, "Frank J. Lhota"
<NOSPAM.lhota.adarose@verizon.net> wrote:

> "Marin David Condic" <nobody@noplace.com> wrote in message
> > Beyond pure nostalgia, I couldn't see much point. I don't have any
> > software that requires a PDP-10 processor.
>
> For the purposes of nostalgia, there are PC emulators for the TRS-80, the
> Commodor 80, and the IBM 360. Presumably, someone has written a PDP-10
> emulator, right?

(At least) three people:
KLH10 by Ken Harrenstein (the oldest, and not easily available)
SIMH by Bob Supnik (actually a series of emulators of about a dozen
historically important or interesting machines)
TS10 by Timothy Stark (which according to postings about a year ago he
was adding VAX, after which he hasn't been heard from so much)

See alt.sys.pdp10 for the gory details, or a convenient summary at
http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/pdp10emu.html .

- David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net