* Programming Contest
@ 2001-07-21 17:42 Al Christians
From: Al Christians @ 2001-07-21 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I received the following by email this a.m.

> Hello, everyone.  While the MSO programming contests are on hiatus, I
> started one of my own.  It only awards $100 and it isn't nearly as
> prestigious, but it'll keep your gray cells (and your silicon ones) in > practice.

> Visit http://members.aol.com/DrMWEcker/REC.html and then, in the
> column on  he left, click on the fifth link ("NEW Prize Contest!").

Is this problem worthy of Ada?

Al

[parent not found: <Pine.LNX.4.33.9901111915230.32622-100000@lagoa.niaad.liacc.up.pt>]
* Re: Programming Contest
@ 2001-07-22 15:51 AlZimmerma
From: AlZimmerma @ 2001-07-22 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: maa; +Cc: comp.lang.ada

Mario,

Thank you for your interest in the Darts Contest.

> ". . . the 5 areas have values (1, 2, 4, 7, 11). Then the smallest
>  unattainable score is 27."
>
>  I don't get it.  If the three darts hit 11, isn't the (attained) score 33?
>
>  And isn't the smallest unattainable score = largest attainable + 1?
>
>  And so wouldn't values (Infinity, ...) be a trivial solution to any N?
>
>  What am I missing?

It isn't true that smallest unattainable score is exactly one more than the
largest attainable.

In the example, you are correct that 33 is the largest attainable score.  But
there are a few scores smaller than 33 which cannot be attained.  And 27 is
the smallest of these.

To see this, observe that scores from 1 through 26 are demonstrably
attainable:

    1 = 1
    2 = 2
    3 = 1 + 2
    4 = 2 + 2
    5 = 1 + 4
    6 = 2 + 4
    7 = 7
    8 = 1 + 7
    9 = 2 + 7
    10 = 1 + 2 + 7
    11 = 11
    12 = 4 + 4 + 4
    13 = 2 + 4 + 7
    14 = 7 + 7
    15 = 4 + 11
    16 = 1 + 4 + 11
    17 = 2 + 4 + 11
    18 = 7 + 11
    19 = 4 + 4 + 11
    20 = 2 + 7 + 11
    21 = 7 + 7 + 7
    22 = 11 + 11
    23 = 1 + 11 + 11
    24 = 2 + 11 + 11
    25 = 7 + 7 + 11
    26 = 4 + 11 + 11

But there's no way to attain 27.

Please let me know if this doesn't answer your question.

Al Zimmermann

* Programming contest
@ 2001-07-11 11:29 Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2001-07-11 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

We walk the walk but can we talk the talk...

http://cristal.inria.fr/ICFP2001/prog-contest/