* Re: Early Computers (was Market pressures for more reliable software)
@ 2001-06-25 15:22 robin
From: robin @ 2001-06-25 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Gary Labowitz" <garyl@enter.net> writes:
> Most shops in the early days were
> centralized computing. And most of those were centralized development as
> well. [Definition: centralized -- a single computer at a centralized
> location. All computing is done on that computer. Users go physically to
> that computer site and either submit jobs directly to the machine, being
> given time on the machine to use it, or submit jobs to a checkpoint from
> which operators submit the jobs for the user. If the site was large enough
> to have several computers they were clustered in the same general area and
> users selected which of the computers would be used for their individual
> jobs.]

Multiple computers were not always situated in the one place,
although some sites that had *identical* systems
had them together for backup and maintenance purposes.

> I can remember back to 1962 (when I started with IBM) but built my first
> computer in 1956.

And what was that?

@ 2001-06-25 15:31 robin
From: robin @ 2001-06-25 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Marin David Condic" <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com> writes:
> Well, the point was, at one time lots (if not most or all) of the computing
> was done in some centralized manner. You had a mainframe to which you
> connected and on that mainframe was where you had your data and programs.

I think that you are speaking about a time much later than
early computers.

Early systems did not have their programs and data on the machine --
they simply weren't large enough.

Program libraries had to be kept on paper tapes and cards,
and loaded into the machine when they were to be run.

Terminals just didn't exist.