From: Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: dinamic object reclamation
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 17:15:25 GMT
Date: 2001-09-19T17:15:25+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <9oahqo$3on$1@ns.omskelecom.ru>, Anisimkov says...

>But there is more then limit of memory usage
>becouse I wrote
>      for Block_Ptr'Storage_Size use Integer'Last;
>inside of procedure "act".
>
>and memory is not leaking now.

Interesting. I'm curious exactly what Gnat is doing there. I would have thought
that it would just try to advance the stack pointer by that much, but clearly it
isn't doing that (2GB? I think not!). Perhaps its doing something nice, like
saying "that's rediculous! I'll just give him X".

I'd still highly encourage you to find a reasonable max size, rather than using
Integer'last. It could be that virtual memory is saving you here, but it could
also be that you are depriving yourself of a large amount of memory that you
could be using elsewhere.

>It looks like a trick.

Well, it is. But it is clearly one that was placed into the language on purpose.
:-)

---