From: anon@anon.org (anon)
Subject: Re: Mixing languages with Ada
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:55:09 GMT
Date: 2008-07-23T16:55:09+00:00	[thread overview]

For client/server programming, once the Ada-2005 specs were adopted last
year Adacore has decided to stop using the RPC package based in Annex-E
by using the RM Annex E.2. (20). Also, back in 2005 they introduce the Java
based Partition Communication Subsystem (PCS) called Polyorb. And now it
the only PCS package supported by Adacore and GNAT-2008.

So, you only have three choices:
     1. Use Polyorb, aka Cobra, MOM, etc. In this case, since Polyorb is
         based from Java Cobra subsystem, I would use Java.  Includes
         examples written in Ada.

     2. Write you own PCS.  And you can use the language of your choice
        so long as that language supports networks.

     3. Or go back and get the Gnat-Glade-2007 package and build the
        RPC. Which will not be supported, except maybe from those who
        have used the package through talks in chatrooms and maybe
        forums. For this package C or Java is a good bet for a secondary
        language. Includes Ada examples.

Since you say the protocols will be simple I would write my own PCS.
Using both Ada and Java for the mixed languages. And you can find C
and Java network examples on the net that can be use to help you write
your Ada code. Skip the overhead of Polynorb or the updating/compiling
for GNAT-Glade-2007 subsystem.