From: bhanafee@ADS.COM (Brian Hanafee)
Subject: Re: Design/Development questions
Date: 8 Jun 90 20:22:04 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <67999@cc.utah.edu> RCAPENER@cc.utah.edu writes:
[stuff on a different topic deleted]

>In VAX-Ada, the GET and the GET_LINE procedures have the very
>disconcerting behavior that when you get a string, you must enter
>the EXACT number of characters the string is declared for.  Is this
>behavior part of the LRM?  Does anyone in NetLand have the equivalent
>of C's fgets for strings in Ada?  Any input (pun intended) on solving
>this problem will be appreciated.

As I (not a lawyer) interpret this, the behavior is correct for Get,
but incorrect for Get_Line.  The sections of the LRM I'm looking at
are 14.3.6/9 and 14.3.6/13. (If you're talking about some other
version of Get, then ignore this; this is the version to Get strings
from files).
14.3.6/9 states (for Get):
	"Determines the length of the given string and attempts that
	number of GET operations for successive characters of the
	string (in particular, no operation is performed if the string
	is null)."

14.3.6/13 states (for Get_Line):
	"...Reading stops if the end of the line is met...reading also
	stops if the end of the string is met.  Characters not
	replaced are left undefined."

Brian