From: cjames@envisionet.net
Subject: Re: Ada saved by gnat (was Re: Where's Aetech?)
Date: 1995/04/21
Date: 1995-04-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <3n8930$ie8@twonky.btv.ibm.com>, <pontius@twonky.btv.ibm.com> writes:
:

> For Ada, my only choice is GNAT. As a matter of fact, GNU Pascal
> may be the only other choice besides C/C++, and I suspect it's so
> far out of vogue by now that it hasn't been ported to both AIX/6000
> and OS/2.

So this must mean that AIX/6000 Unix and OS/2 are the only OS's around.
What about NT ...

> C/C++ has swept the industry so pervasively that I suspect there
> won't be a big compiler market anywhere else for some time.

This is true ONLY in the US and Canada.  In Europe generally, and in France
specifically, the language used on visible projects more than Ada or C++ combined
is Eiffel.  But the IBM view of the world is to ignore others until they can't.
In fact, IBM was never really on the C++ or Unix bandwagon until it became
obvious that the what the US market wanted.  Hence IBM tends to be a follower
(OS/2 was invented by MickeySoft, and AIX has tons of stuff in it identical to
any Linux freeware Unix, such as dopey screen savers) rather than a leader.

> ... (my opinion)
>
> Dale Pontius
> (NOT speaking for IBM)

Join the other bores with opinions from IBM who post here.  But better to work for
IBM than to have a real job ...