* Rational 3..2.0b and Solaris 8 does it work ?
@ 2001-10-25  0:06 garilla
From: garilla @ 2001-10-25  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have an application I built under Solaris 2.7 (or Solaris 7) with
Rational 3.2.0b and it works fine.  When I build the same application
under Solaris 2.8 or (Solaris 8) the application cores out without
even executing the first line of code.  I can't use the debugger
because the application needs to be run as root and the debugger can't
run as root.   I applied the two patches that Rational said to apply
to make 3.2.0b work under Solaris 8 but to no avail.  Has anyone run
into this same problem and if so how did you resolve it?   I also
tried running the version built under Solaris 2.7 under 2.8 but that
doesn't run either.  Any help would be appreciated.

Gary

* Re: Rational 3..2.0b and Solaris 8 does it work ?
@ 2001-10-25 15:18 ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2001-10-25 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

garilla wrote:
> I have an application I built under Solaris 2.7 (or Solaris 7) with
> Rational 3.2.0b and it works fine.  When I build the same application
> under Solaris 2.8 or (Solaris 8) the application cores out without
> even executing the first line of code.  I can't use the debugger
> because the application needs to be run as root and the debugger can't
> run as root.   I applied the two patches that Rational said to apply

We run the debugger as root by starting apex as root.  But we haven't
tried Solaris 8 yet.

--
Wes Groleau
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau

* Re: Rational 3..2.0b and Solaris 8 does it work ?
@ 2001-10-25 16:03   ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2001-10-25 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Groleau wrote:

> garilla wrote:
> > under Solaris 2.8 or (Solaris 8) the application cores out without
> > even executing the first line of code.  I can't use the debugger

For things like this, I find  truss  VERY useful.
Takes some practice to interpret the results, but
it will show you what killed it, as well as some
clues into what it was doing immediately before.

You might also try gdb or some other "outside"
debugger.  I have successfully used gdb to get
stack dumps out of core files from Apex links.

Due to the nature of Apex, other debuggers
do not have access to all symbols, but they
can do stack tracebacks.

Also, try 'ldd <executable>' on both OSes --
there might be a shared library missing or the wrong version

--

@ 2001-10-25 18:31 ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2001-10-25 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

garilla wrote:
> I have an application I built under Solaris 2.7 (or Solaris 7) with
> Rational 3.2.0b and it works fine.  When I build the same application
> under Solaris 2.8 or (Solaris 8) the application cores out without
> even executing the first line of code.  I can't use the debugger .....

Are there any hardware differences?  Since we will
have to go to Solaris 8 eventually, I warned some
of our folks about this, and one of them said:

   I wonder if this guy switched from a single processor
   machine to a dual processor machine.  His brief problem
   statement sounds just like what happens when we try to
   run XXXXXX on a dual processor machine, regardless
   of OS version.

--

@ 2001-10-25 21:52 ` Pete E
From: Pete E @ 2001-10-25 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

gary@home.net (garilla) wrote in message news:<3bd75651.2974945@news.monmouth.com>...
> I have an application I built under Solaris 2.7 (or Solaris 7) with
> Rational 3.2.0b and it works fine.  When I build the same application
> under Solaris 2.8 or (Solaris 8) the application cores out without
> even executing the first line of code.  I can't use the debugger
> because the application needs to be run as root and the debugger can't
> run as root.   I applied the two patches that Rational said to apply
> to make 3.2.0b work under Solaris 8 but to no avail.  Has anyone run
> into this same problem and if so how did you resolve it?   I also
> tried running the version built under Solaris 2.7 under 2.8 but that
> doesn't run either.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Gary

You can open a support case with Rational Software by sending email to
support@rational.com.

Regards,
Pete E.

* Re: Rational 3..2.0b and Solaris 8 does it work ? - ada.gif (0/1)
@ 2001-10-26 10:44   ` garilla
From: garilla @ 2001-10-26 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

The machine that is running Solaris 8 and Solaris 7 are the same
machine.  I have an external hard disk that contains Solaris 8 and I
can boot into either Solaris 7 or 8, no partitions are shared between
the disk drives but using the same hardware.  Also I have found that
when I use the debugger on the application in question I get an error
that looks like the debugger is dying.  I have attached a screen
capture of the output from the debugger.  It shows a DEBUGGER
ASSERTION ERROR.

@ 2001-10-26 10:45   ` garilla
From: garilla @ 2001-10-26 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I also opened a tech support case with Rational, but haven't gotten
anything back yet, when I do I'll let you know about it.

@ 2001-10-26 10:49   ` garilla
From: garilla @ 2001-10-26 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-10-26 10:56   ` garilla
From: garilla @ 2001-10-26 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-11-02  1:54     ` David Brown
From: David Brown @ 2001-11-02  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

garilla <gary@home.net> wrote:

>>> I have an application I built under Solaris 2.7 (or Solaris 7) with
>>> Rational 3.2.0b and it works fine.  When I build the same application
>>> under Solaris 2.8 or (Solaris 8) the application cores out without
>>> even executing the first line of code.

I believe Solaris 8 added a security measure that causes the stack frame
to not be executable by default (to try and catch buffer overflow
exploits).

Perhaps your compiler's runtime/compiler create stack trampolines for
procedure passing and such.

look in /etc/system for something to the effect of:

set noexec_user_stack = 1

and try setting it to a zero, if you have it.  You will have to reboot
to change it.

Dave Brown