From: jkern@mail.erinet.com
Subject: Re: Ada 95 & MIL-STD 498
Date: 1997/01/28
Date: 1997-01-28T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

On 1/25/97 5:12PM, in message <32EA8546.6AED@ix.netcom.com>, Vance Christiaanse
<cintech@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Hello Ada Fans.
>
> I have a client who is using Object-Oriented Design implemented
> in Ada 95.  Is there anyone out there with experience or ideas
> on documenting OO Ada 95 under MIL-STD 498?
>
> I would think this question is of general interest so post any
>
> Thanks!
>
> Vance
>
> Vance Christiaanse
> Cintech Consulting
> cintech@ix.netcom.com
MIL-STD 498 describes a process for developing software independent of the
language or methodology used to implement a set of requirements.  If you were
adding an addition to your house, you would select a contractor, solicit a set
of plans, review the blueprints, agree on the criteria for judging quality and
completeness, give the OK, monitor the work, and check the results.  498 is
meant to be a simple yet comprehensive model for performing "contracted"
software.  I feel the key to understanding 498 is given in the definition of a
requirement.  To paraphrase "include the capabilities that the software must
possess in order for the software to be acceptable, defer to design the
capabilities that the customer doesn't care about."  Its simple, lets agree on
what needs to be done, demonstrate to me that you have indeed done it.  Add a
little boilerplate stuff...498.