From: Dale Stanbrough <MrNoSpam@bigpoop.net.au>
Subject: Re: Main subprogram at library level
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 07:54:02 GMT
Date: 2004-03-03T07:54:02+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <7qa1c.16379$yZ1.8619@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
 Jeffrey Carter <spam@spam.com> wrote:

> Randy Brukardt wrote:
>
> > AI-344 proposes to remove the restriction altogether. Certainly a better
> > idea than eliminating it in one weird place...
>
> Eliminating it altogether, if possible, would be nice. I was coming from
> the position that the restriction is necessary. If it's not necessary,
> why do we have it?
>
> However, I'm not sure that that the main subprogram's declarative region
> is really such a weird place. Lots of people, including some with Ada
> experience and knowledge of the restriction, assume that the main
> subprogram is at library level (until their compiler tells them
> otherwise and they post a message here asking why).

I hope I've got this right...!

It may not be at the "library level" (meaning you can place values in
heap/static storage) as the values will still have to be on the stack.
The main procedure can be called recursively, as well as being
called as a simple procedure by others later on.

The validity of the compilation shouldn't be determined by who decides
to call it at some later date.

Dale

--
dstanbro@spam.o.matic.bigpond.net.au