From: Dale Stanbrough <MrNoSpam@bigpoop.net.au>
Subject: Re: Ada suitablity as a game dev language
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:44:49 GMT
Date: 2004-11-22T11:44:49+00:00	[thread overview]

Dmitry A. Kazakovwrote:

> >> 2. Ada is highly portable. Games are usually developed for many platforms.
> >
> > The major platforms would be (in no particular order)...
> >
> >    Windows
> >    XBox (windows again)
> >    Playstation
> >
> > There is no Ada compiler for the Playstation, so your argument has
> > less force than you think.
>
> Probably you mean commercial games, for you do not mention Linux and Apple.

i think the number of Ada games on Linux or Mac OS X would be less than
10. I did say "the major platforms" after all.

> But in that case, I believe it would be no problem for a big software
> player to persuade ACT, Aonix or RR software to target Playstation. Or
> other platforms of even greater interest like mobile phones, for instance.

If you pay them enough. And implement the tools for doing all the other
stuff. This isn't going to happen if you are talking about non commercial
games.

The return on investment would be negligible if you are doing it for
profit. The PS2 has a whacky architecture that would be trick to port
to. I suspect you'ld need serious tools (other than the language) to
write cross platform software for these platforms.

Dale

--
dstanbro@spam.o.matic.bigpond.net.au