From: clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Subject: Re: Ada bindings to Linux GUI toolkits ?
Date: 3 Jul 2006 06:36:05 -0500
Date: 2006-07-03T06:36:05-05:00	[thread overview]

In article <d63bdlwuy3.fsf@hod.lan.m-e-leypold.de>, M E Leypold <development-2006-8ecbb5cc8aREMOVETHIS@ANDTHATm-e-leypold.de> writes:

> Also learning Gtk (any GUI Toolkit) well is hard. One probably would
> like to preserve one's investment in that area, so moving to another
> language (and staying with Gtk) is a definite option. My
> recommendation at that point for lovers of excotic languages would be
> Ocaml :-), but YMMV.

I was thinking about this over the weekend and have now come to the same
conclusion, but I would like to thank people for their pointers to Ada
bindings to other toolkits anyway.

My current GtkAda programs tend to be things like microcontroller
programmers/debuggers or status monitors for things (like a current
autonomous robot experiment) that do need Ada. Neither of those GUI
applications really require Ada (the robot has to handle the status
monitor link potentially failing for reasons unrelated to the code
in the status monitor anyway), and I've spent quite a bit of time learning
the GTK toolkit.

You are correct about this affecting hobbyist users. The above projects
(and others) are hobbyist projects, but since I don't know what I will
do with this (and other) projects in the future, I would like to be in
control of how I use my code.

I think that the most annoying thing is that GtkAda started out life as
GMGPL[1] before been changed to pure GPL and then impacting all the projects
built up until then. If it had been GPL at the start, then that would have
been known _before_ designing and writing any code.

Simon.

[1] It most definitely started out life as GMGPL. From the GtkAda mailing
lists:

    http://lists.adacore.com/pipermail/gtkada/2002-February/001204.html

    Arnaud Charlet
    Sun, 10 Feb 2002 00:38:36 +0100

    GtkAda is licensed under the GNAT modified GPL (see the GtkAda spec files
    more the exact wording). So basically you should be fine, but that being
    said, whether you can use it in such or such exact
    conditions would require to examine all the licenses involved or to hire
    a lawyer to do this job for you.

    Arno

If Google's motto is "don't be evil", then how did we get Google Groups 2 ?