From: Jano <nono@celes.unizar.es>
Subject: Re: Ada, Gnat and Unicode
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:38:57 +0200
Date: 2003-10-23T19:38:57+02:00	[thread overview]

Robert I. Eachus dice...

(Snipped some interesting bits).

> If you use UTF-8 for source input in GNAT, be aware that they only
> support UTF-8 for BMP characters, full UTF-8 including 6 octet encodings
> is not supported.  (Note that all Unicode characters are effectively
> supported in GNAT, although you will have to use two 16-bit encodings as
> three octet sequences giving a six octet encoding...)

Thanks for your reply, and now for some clarifications and more doubts
;)

Firstly, I wasn't referring to me using anything outside of Latin1 for
my source code. I think it will be best if I explain my problem better.

I'm giving a try with an open source p2p protocol. It permits file
searches by keyword. These keywords are filenames and/or metadata about
the files. These data is exchanged UTF8 encoded.

As you may be seeing now, I want to scan a folder and transform the
filenames into UTF8. That's fine for me which know that I'm getting
Latin1 encoded strings from the Directory_Operations package, and any
metadata entered by the user. But I was wondering what would happen to a
Chinese user (not that I foresee any usage of my program in wide
deployment, but when faced with the problem one *must* know ;)

> > I don't find information in the Gnat UG/RM about these things.
>
> Look again, in the GNAT Users Guide for "Foreign Language Representation."

Correct me, that refers to source representation? (I had missed it
anyway ^_^)

(Of course if my program were to be translated, that applies. I'm not so
concerned about this but I should have been clearer).

As a final side note, my program is GUI-less, that's why I'm not
concerned about translation. However it has a SOAP interface. With that
I've plugged a Java GUI which correctly decodes and shows my UTF8
strings (a few traces and status reports).

Thanks,

--
Jano