From: Jano <402450@cepsz.unizar.es>
Subject: Re: JVM News
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:25:51 +0100
Date: 2003-02-14T17:25:51+01:00	[thread overview]

En el mensaje <b2ir4p$a4$1@slb3.atl.mindspring.net>,
mcondic.auntie.spam@acm.org dice...
> 35-40 meg for a "Hello World" app? That seems to be a number so extreme as
> to be highly questionable. Are they talking about the size of the Java Byte
> Code or are they talking about the the total size of the entire Java
> environment necessary to run a "Hello World" app? The former is really hard
> to believe and the latter might be a bit of an unfair criticism. (Would a
> "Hello World" app written for Windows have to count all of Windows as part
> of its "footprint"?)

I understand the latter. But they also say that's not totally unfair
because if you are in a shared machine -for example at my school, isn't
inusual that 30 or 40 students make a practice over the same machine via
xterms- then every java apprentice trying his "hello world" will require
40 megs. And if the program is not a trivial one the footprint quickly
grows.

Yes, one can better share the JVM, but if you want different
applications to be completely isolated to prevent one bringing down
another...