From: Jano <402450@cepsz.unizar.es>
Subject: Gnat/windows specific, exception glich
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 14:51:26 +0100
Date: 2003-02-06T14:51:26+01:00	[thread overview]

Hello,

I have a curious problem. I'm developing an app using Gnat that uses
several DLLs also built with Gnat. The problem is:

I have several exception handlers at the various levels in the main
procedure. However, when an exception is raised *inside* some proc
imported from the DLLs, the app aborts and prints the exception in the
console. I suspect that's caused because each DLL has its own runtime,
as stated in the user guide.

That's somewhat puzzling because there is only one thread/task in
execution, so I would expect that any exception would be catched by the
handler in the main procedure.

The burden that implies is that to prevent program abortion I must place
a general exception handler in *each* exported function in the DLLs. Bad
enough, I don't want the security model to depend on proper
implementation of the DLLs. Currently, I have no idea on how to prevent
at all abortion caused by some arbitrary DLL.

The DLLs are part of a plugin system. I can't afford to have total
failure because a DLL is incorrectly developed.

Any ideas? Am I doomed?

--
Jano