From: Thomas Wolf <t_wolf@angelfire.com>
Subject: Re: AdaBrowse 1.5 available
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:50:56 +0200
Date: 2002-04-05T09:50:56+02:00	[thread overview]

dennison@telepath.com wrote:

> What are the chances we could check your sources into the gcc-gnat CVS
> tree, and get rid of that stupid Perl script altogether?

I have no basic objections to this, but:

- Is ASIS-for-GNAT in the gcc-gnat CVS tree? Without an
  ASIS-for-GNAT for the gcc-gnat, it wouldn't make much
  sense to put AdaBrowse there.

- I didn't care about GNU coding guidelines or whatever when I
  developed AdaBrowse, so if it is to be put into the gcc-gnat
  CVS tree (and supposedly, into the gcc distribution), there
  may be some work to do in that respect.

- The source distribution doesn't contain any Makefiles. That also
  would have to be added by somebody. (Building AdaBrowse is as
  simple as "gnatmake -O2 adabrowse -lasis", so I didn't see the
  need for a Makefile-based build procedure.)

- AdaBrowse uses (and its source distribution contains) a couple
  of units that are *not* GPLed, but distributed under the more
  permissive Ada Community License (the one used by the Ada 95
  Booch components). I have no idea if this would be OK with GNU
  policies. An option might perhaps be to use something akin to
  the modified GPL as used by the GNAT library for these units.

Thomas Wolf                          e-mail: t_wolf@angelfire.com