* JGnat and memory management
@ 2001-03-05 17:53 Alejandro R. Mosteo
From: Alejandro R. Mosteo @ 2001-03-05 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

I know that Java has a garbage collector. What happens
in JGnat with the memory allocated through new? Must be
freed with unchecked dealloc. or is garbage-collected
by the JVM? Or is configurable this behavior?

I have not installed JGnat, so sorry if this is answered
in documentation.

------------------------------
Alejandro R. Mosteo
mailto: 402450@cepsz.unizar.es
------------------------------

* Re: JGnat and memory management
@ 2001-03-06  1:06 ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2001-03-06  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Alejandro R. Mosteo" wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I know that Java has a garbage collector. What happens
> in JGnat with the memory allocated through new? Must be
> freed with unchecked dealloc. or is garbage-collected
> by the JVM? Or is configurable this behavior?
>
> I have not installed JGnat, so sorry if this is answered
> in documentation.

The documentation is silent on this aspect of JGNAT--but then it's
silent on a number of other topics of interest as well :-(

Though I've little hard data for this belief, I've taken it that
programs compiled with JGNAT are appropriately garbage-collected when
executed on a JVM.  The documentation does say that class files
generated with JGNAT are interoperable with those generated by javac, so
to me that implies comparable behavior.

Marc A. Criley
Senior Staff Engineer
Quadrus Corporation