From: glarkin@llnl.gov (Glenn R. Larkin)
Subject: Re: Another Ada success story
Date: 1999/04/07
Date: 1999-04-07T16:38:10+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <370B8155.26A3395C@nospam.lmco.com>,
steven.quinlan@nospam.lmco.com says...

> Steve O'Neill wrote:
>
> > Steve Quinlan wrote:
> >
> > >Next up (for us at Lockheed Martin Air Traffic Managment) will be our
> > >first Ada 95 project. Based on a prototype written in C and PL/I by
> > >MITRE,
> >
> > Why, pray tell, was the prototype done in this combination of languages?
>
> I don't really know. MITRE did the prototype work and I'm not familiar with
> the whole history of it. The prototype is a result of some research that has
> been going on for many years. It's only now that the FAA has decided they
> want to develop a productized version of this and deploy it.
>
> I don't know the original platform that the prototype was developed for.
> Right now, it runs on a DEC Alpha machine, but I don't think that's where it
> started.  I think that what happened was that picked PL/I a long time ago,
> and more recently they began trying to port it to C, but never completed the
> port. Some of the display code (uses Motif) may have always been in C; I'm
> not sure.
>
> By the way, we won't be "porting" much of this code, with the exception of
> some of the C code involved in controlling the displays. Our version of this
> will run on a Sun SPARC machine rather than on a DEC. Display code will be
> C, most everything else will be Ada 95.

We're working with a very similiar architecture here at Lawrence
Livermore Labs, building a control system for a new laser project. The
supervisory GUIs are being written in C++/Motif, while most of the rest
of the software is Ada95. The connection between the languages will be
CORBA. The platforms are a mix of Solaris and VxWorks machines.

For some more information, check out:
http://lasers.llnl.gov/lasers/nif/ICCS/

Glenn