From: "chris.danx" <chris.danx@ntlworld.com>
Subject: Re: Thoughts and Opinions or something like that
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 22:34:04 +0100
Date: 2001-04-28T22:34:04+01:00	[thread overview]

"brian hiles" <bsh@rainey.blueneptune.com> wrote in message
news:teje2rsjqeak2e@corp.supernews.com...
> In comp.lang.misc chris.danx <chris.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > Someone on these news groups suggested to someone that in order to make a
> > reliable Virtual Machines, they needed the opinions of many programmers...
>
> By VM do you mean the _Java_ virtual machine, bu which many language
> authors are writing languages to produce jvm bytecodes,

JVM sucks IMO.  It's not that i hate Java it's just it's machine is not well
planned or thought out, again IMO.

> or _another_
> VM for in which case it seems you are "reinventing the wheel"?

I'm not reinventing the wheel, and anyway what's wrong with that?  Earths
history is full of people developing things and reworking things TO MAKE THEM
BETTER FOR SPECIFIC JOBS.

Nuff said...

> For both cases, the best use of one's effort is the time spent reviewing
> the field for other programmers projects:
>
> http://grunge.cs.tu-berlin.de/~tolk/vmlanguages.html
>
> A fascinating site!

Really, i looked and thought "hmm, put my language on JVM, why didn't i think of
that before?".  It's been weighed up against others ages ago, it was found to
support features that didn't work with the language goals.  I'd have to get
really stuck into the VM and figure out how to make the program work with alien
concepts.  The point of making a language unspecific VM (the RISC machine) is to
make experimentation easier.  The point of making a language specific VM is to
improve efficiency, and make the compiler simpler.  Also it fit's into the
concept of interactive programming.  Since any code block can (in theory) be run
on the VM and be examined as it's running, it's easier to test code.  If i was
to do this with the native architecture it'd be more difficult, and more
dangerous.  The VM simplifies the testing by providing the ability to watch
what's going on and halting it, changing the code, then resuming and seeing
what's going on now.

JVM might have garbage collection, but it's not been designed to work with tail
recursion, carry through unit binding, set expression, lists and what not.
These will make my life easier, and hopefully an intelligent and well designed
implementation will make them efficient and speedy.