From: Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Thanks for the suggestions!
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 20:09:16 GMT
Date: 2001-06-12T20:09:16+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <f7ce0059.0106121127.41b1587f@posting.google.com>, Rod Weston says...

>in Ada.  I mention these to encourage suggestions on a suitable
>professional learning environment.  I also downloaded EMACS, but
>haven't been able to get the Ada 'personality' installed and I'm
>wondering if the AdaGIDE will be better for development than EMACS
>anyway.  I'm not really excited about EMACS at this point.  **What
>editors are being used and loved out there that have Ada
>configurations?**

I use Emacs. It actually *comes* with an Ada mode installed that integrates
great with the Gnat compiler. There's a more up-to-date set of elisp files for
Ada mode available online, but the standard Emacs will work just fine if you
don't want the headache of installing new elisp files. Every project I have
worked on in the last 6 years has used Emacs as its main source code editing
tool, so it is probably worth learning to use in and of itself.

AdaGUIDE was developed for university students. I suppose it may be fine for a
beginner, but sooner or later a serious user is going to want more functionality
than it can provide.

As for books, I'd also highly suggest Norm Cohen's "Ada as a Second Language"
for an experienced software developer. My boss has over 13 different Ada books,
and that one is the favorite here.

---