* Announce : GNAT 5.01a Like RPM for Redhat 9 Available
@ 2003-10-10 17:26 Jeff C,
From: Jeff C, @ 2003-10-10 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is a first build of something that resembles GNAT 5.01a as an RPM for
Redhat 9.

You can download it from Adaworld from the links page
http://www.adaworld.com/linksmain.html
(direct URL http://www.adaworld.com/rpms/GNAT5.01a_jmc-20031010-1.i686.rpm)

GNAT 5.01a is based on gcc 3.2 technology but it is not the same as building
an out of the box configuration of gcc 3.2.

GNAT 5.01a is created by patching gcc 3.2 with a set of Ada Core
Technologies patches for the core gcc components and by replacing the entire
Ada subdirectory with the contents of the CVS tag 5.01a from
http://libre.act-europe.fr/GNAT/

This was built following the build instructions from the README.BUILD (which
lives in the CVS archive) with the following exceptions:

1) The README.BUILD directs you to re-use 3 libraries from your existing
binary distribution in order to create the final gnat tools. (libaddr2line.a
libbfd.a and libiberty.a). I did not do this since I ran into linking issues
on Redhat 9 when I tried this (although it appears to work under Solaris).
In addition, I was not wild about not really building everything from
source. So, I downloaded a copy of binutils-2.13.2.1, patched it with a
patchfile from the GNAT CVS archive (although in this case to get the patch
I had to use a file from the CVS head - version 1.6 of the file called
binutils-2.13.2.1.dif)

2) The instructions in README.BUILD do not actually create an RPM, they just
do a standard install via make install.  Since I have never created an RPM
before I took the easy way out and used a program called checkinstall to
build it. Basically checkinstall is a program that monitors the progress of
a make install and creates an RPM semi-automatically from the files that get
installed during the process.

I wanted this RPM to install so that it had no chance of breaking any
existing installations so everything will be installed under gnat-501a-jmc

So, you MUST put /usr/gnat/gnat-501a-jmc/bin
in your path for this to work. If you already have a gcc installed I
recommend putting this path entry at the start of your path to be sure you
really are running it.

As for testing...I have done harly any testing of this at all.

I did install the RPM on a separate machine and verified I could build and
run hello world.

I also built and ran (on the original machine) a simple tasking program that
did I/O from a couple of tasks to see that the tasking runtime at least
appeared to be semi-functional.

So, let me know if you run into anything.

Since I did not modify any of the sources I am not at this time actually
including a source library of all these GPL components.

* Re: Announce : GNAT 5.01a Like RPM for Redhat 9 Available
@ 2003-10-16 15:30 ` Tapani Rundgren
From: Tapani Rundgren @ 2003-10-16 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeff C," <nolongersafeto@userealemailsniff.com> wrote in message news:<QYBhb.723050$Ho3.176531@sccrnsc03>...
> This is a first build of something that resembles GNAT 5.01a as an RPM for
> Redhat 9.

[snip]

Works well for me!

Tested with AWS-1.3, Adasockets-1.8 and XmlAda-0.7.1

Regards,
Tapani Rundgren

* Re: Announce : GNAT 5.01a Like RPM for Redhat 9 Available
@ 2003-10-16 23:00   ` Jeff C,
From: Jeff C, @ 2003-10-16 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Glad it is working!

Note that the RPM has been temporarily pulled so I can have this properly
identify itself as something
like 5.01p but other than some version/nomenclature stuff there is really
nothing partcularly wrong with the
existing RPM..

I hope to get a new RPM (along with co-located source code instead of having
the source on a different server) this weekend.