From: clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Subject: Ada Job Market, Was: Re: SIGada Conference
Date: 16 Dec 2003 12:27:07 -0600
Date: 2003-12-16T12:27:07-06:00	[thread overview]

In article <3FDF0457.70601@noplace.com>, Marin David Condic <nobody@noplace.com> writes:

> I'd like to see Ada get somewhere, but there needs to be a better metric
> than the business growth of some few companies. Jobs in Ada, new project
> starts in Ada, classes taught in Ada, etc.

If you have a copy of Dr Dobb's Journal for October 2003, have a look at
page 52.

The author has done an analysis of job offers for the period July 2002 to
June 2003 that specified programming language requirements.

I won't post the table (because I'm not sure what the copyright issues are,
and anyway it's a detailed table), but the author's table claims[1] that Ada
is running around the 5% mark (+/- 1%) for much of that period.

It was interesting to note however that it increased a couple of percent
in May/June 2003.

For comparison C++ is running at around the 50% (+/- several %) mark, and
Pascal is running at around 0.2%.

Simon.

[1] I use "claims" because I am finding it hard to believe that 5% of all
programming jobs specify Ada, however nice that would be. My viewpoint here
may be tainted by the fact that I am in the UK, and closer to 0% appears to
be a more accurate figure here. [Fortunately, my interest in Ada is more of
a personal interest...]

SCO: Proudly pushing Microsoft down to #2 on the list of most disliked companies