* RE: Cannot use NULL as identifier?
@ 2001-05-30 21:45 Beard, Frank
From: Beard, Frank @ 2001-05-30 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org'

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Dennison [mailto:dennison@telepath.com]

> 3) The package ASCII is obsolescent, so I wouldn't use
> it in new code if I were you. You should be using
> "Ada.Characters.Latin_1.Nul".

As Ben Brosgol pointed out, ASCII was obsolescent before
the ASCII standard was expanded to include characters 128
through 255.  So, the odds of ASCII becoming obsolete are
slim to none.  So, I wouldn't worry too much about whether
or not to use ASCII.

Even if it does become obsolete, it is a relatively
simply global substitute to replace "ASCII" with
"Ada.Characters.Latin_1.Nul", or do a library level rename.
Besides "Ada.Characters.Latin_1.Nul" being ugly to look at,
if for nothing else, I will continue to use ASCII to avoid
the lame analogies of Latin to Ada made by some of the C++
hacks ("A dead language for a dead language").

Frank