From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Update_Element Spec. in Containers.Indefinite_Hashed_Maps
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:01:01 -0600
Date: 2005-12-20T15:01:01-06:00	[thread overview]

"Anh Vo" <anhvofrcaus@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1135101609.527495.321500@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> The Update_Element procedure specification has two paramters, Position
> and Process as implemented in GNAT-GPL. The one in the LRM 2005 has
> three paramters, Container as the additional and first paramter. Which
> one is the right one?

The Ada Amendment isn't quite finalized yet, so it still is changing
slightly. That means that older versions are likely to be somewhat out of
sync.

The change adding "Container" parameters to some operations, and changing
the modes of others, was approved at the York ARG meeting, and was made
shortly thereafterwards. (There were a dozen or so other changes approved,
including changes in the formal parameters for some of the generics).

The reason for this particular change is to ensure that a writeable
container is present for every operation that modifies a container. With the
original specification, you could modify a constant container (such as an
'in' parameter) simply by retrieving an appropriate cursor and then calling
Update_Element. We don't want to make modifying constants easy!

                               Randy.