From: "Jeffrey R. Carter" <jrcarter@acm.org>
Subject: Re: Fun with Tasking
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 04:59:23 GMT
Date: 2007-03-29T04:59:23+00:00	[thread overview]

mhamel_98@yahoo.com wrote:

> Thank you Adam.  While making this sample program a sneaking suspicion
> started to creep up that I really didn't know what I was doing, and
> you helped verify that suspicion.  What's really going on is I have a
> number of tasks I'm going to run, and while themselves completely
> independent of one another, they send updates to a single listening,
> or collating, task.  That is the task at the heart of my initial
> post.  My approach was to start up this collating task and give it's
> pointer (or address) to the processing tasks.  This works fine if the
> collating task definition is in the acc_add_test procedure and the
> Control_Block has a pointer to that task within it.  However, I would
> like the collating task definition to reside with the "exec" procedure/
> package as the sample has it.  How would one declare and start up that
> task, without any visibility into the package, just a procedure
> pointer with a mode argument?  My (terribly flawed) idea was the
> PreProcess element of the procedure would set that up, but as you
> pointed out, the procedure would never exit while the task is
> running.  So how to define the task and put it on "hold" until the
> processing tasks can utilize it?  I don't expect it's possible without
> incurring as much ugliness as the program has already, but I thought
> I'd give it a try.  Thanks again =)

Tasking /is/ fun. I seem to be unusual in that I don't find it
difficult. I'd like to be able to show off and solve all your problems,
but I still have no idea what you're trying to achieve. I've got a lot
of information about how you're trying to implement it, but no idea what
"it" is. If you can describe the problem, there's probably an elegant
way to implement a solution in Ada.

--
Jeff Carter
"All citizens will be required to change their underwear